Monday, October 27, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Alright, I know this may seem weird, but, it's sincere.

I love drive-thru car washes.

I have to think there are many people out there who feel the same. I can't be the only human who enjoys the experience.

I just ran our Scion xB through the local Mike's Car Wash. I used to think paying $10 or more for a car wash was just stupid. Then I washed my car a few times by hand, and suddenly felt $10 was more than worth the time I save.

Even more, it's the actual wash that I love. I find it extremely relaxing. It's like riding out some fresh-scented thunderstorm that leaves your car clean. I love the water everywhere, spraying and shooting against the car like a water ride, then trickling down the windows like a waterfall. I love the movement of the vehicle, rocked back and forth a bit by the spray and the dryers. I love the sounds of the cloths as they are dragged over the car, and the windstorm of blowers that chase the beads of water from my windshield and down the length of the car. I love the semi-citrus cleaner smell in the soap that blows its way through the vents and fills the interior. And I love just riding along, safe inside, eyes almost closed, the car being pulled along in the little tire track.

And then, much too soon, comes the little light at the end telling me it's safe to take my car out of neutral. The relaxed state fades away, and as I start to drive, I'm tempted to pay another $10, just in case they missed a spot.

No comments: